Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Boomtown Rats

I liked the Boomtown Rats before that song about Mondays and how that girl didn't like em. I had their second album, A Tonic for the Troops, which I had found in the import bin and decided to give them a try. I really dug that song Rat Trap and found the whole album interesting. The Rats formed in Dun Laoghaire, Ireland. Bob Geldof(that Live Aid guy) was originally the manager, but eventually took over lead vocals. In November of 1978 Rat Trap reached number 1 in the UK and the Boomtown Rats became the first Irish band to have a number one in the UK, knocking John Travolta and Olivia Newton John out of the top spot. Then that girl did that school shooting in California and Geldof wrote that song about Mondays and the parents of the girl tried to have the song banned, blah blah became their biggest hit. While the song I Don't Like Mondays is alright, it's not near the best cut on the album. So I'm going to post my favorite song from the album, The Fine Art of Surfacing. If you want to know more about the Rats, I suggest going to the website.

Diamond Smiles by The Boomtown Rats

Buy this CD

0 comments: