Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Clarence Carter

Clarence CarterThis blind blues singer/guitarist has a following that goes way back to the 60's, when he cut a number of sides for Atlantic Records. I would find it hard to believe that there were people out there who had never heard a Clarence Carter song. You know the one of which I speak. Strokin'. I've seen this song played at any number of places from bars to wedding receptions. It always elicits the same response from the crowd. People from young to old will get up and act a fool to this song, hootin' and a hollerin'. I've even seen senior citizens with walkers whoop it up to this tune. It strikes a chord in people because he talks about makin' love in a smooth, laid back, sexy way that makes people go Oh Yeah. If you're not familiar with Clarence Carter then I recommend you try outThe Best of Clarence Carter: The Dr.'s Greatest Prescriptions. Best of Clarence Carter shows the singer's bawdy and blues side, with songs like "I'm Not Just Good, I'm the Best," "Grandpa Can't Fly His Kite," and "Kiss You All Over."

The production is polished, but the emphasis is carnal. If you want an introduction to a smooth blues man with a nod and a wink, go for Best of Clarence Carter. For now give a listen to

Strokin' by Clarence Carter

Toon of the Day

0 comments: