Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Stuart Goddard

Today in Music History:

In 1969, One hit wonders Zager and Evans started a six week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'In The Year 2525, (Exordium And Terminus)'.
Adam AntStuart Goddard is the real name of the founder of antmusic for antpeople or Adam Ant. I first heard antmusic in 1980 when I was browsing in my favorite record store. They were playing something that I had never heard before. The music I was hearing had this relentless, driving beat and chanting melodies. I didn't know what it was but I knew I was going to buy it. I just went up to the counter and said, "Give me a copy of whatever that is you're playing". It turned out to be Kings of the Wild Frontier by Adam and the Ants. I went home and just played the piss out this album. Thus I became a big Adam Ant fan, before he made his big splash with the song Goody Two Shoes in 1982. I saw Adam in a small venue around this time, a 2000 seat auditorium and it was amazing. The double barreled attack of the two drummers in perfect unison, Adam's carefully choreographed moves and Marco's spaghetti western guitar playing made for an unforgettable show. At times Marco seemed like he was determined to mess up any choreography by deliberately walking in front of Adam in the middle of some high kick. Yet it all made for one hell of a show.
As adam's music moved away from his punk roots and he embraced MTV and his music became more pop oriented, some of his fan base melted away. Adam's back catalog has just been remastered and re released and I highly recommend any of his stuff. The track I'm featuring today comes from the Prince Charming album and has a definite pirate feel to it. A new generation of Ant-influenced artists covered Adam and the Ants' hits during the 90s, including Elastica, Sugar Ray, Trent Reznor, and Robbie Williams.

Stand and Deliver by Adam and the Ants


Buy this CD


Funny Toon

0 comments: