Monday, October 31, 2005

Halloween, Creepiest Song Ever

Today in Music History:

1990, During a gig in Seattle, Washington, Billy Idol dumped 600 dead fish in Faith No More's dressing room. They responded by walking on stage, naked during Idol's set.
It is Halloween so it was best that I save the creepiest song for this day. When I first heard todays song I was very young and I do believe it scared the bejeebus out of me. As a matter of fact, I still can not listen to this song to this day because it really gets under my skin and quite frankly, it gives me nightmares. Why do I have this song then? And why in the hell did it become a top 40 hit? Well I keep it around to play for folks if they've never heard it and then I can creep them out too. As for the top 40 thing, there's no predicting what kind of music will become a hit.

The artist is Bloodrock, and the song is DOA. Bloodrock was an early '70s hard rock band from Fort Worth, TX. They charted with six albums between 1970 and 1972 and scored their first and only Top 40 hit with the totally morbid DOA which is off their second album. What's really weird is that the first album is a lot more creepy than their second one. Bloodrock 2 actually has some upbeat stuff on it. Guitarist Lee Pickens recounted this story how the song came about.
When I was 17, I wanted to be an airplane pilot. I had just gotten out of this airplane with a friend of mine at this little airport and I watched him take off. He went about 200 feet in the air, rolled and crashed. The band decided to write a song around the incident.
Complete with ambulance sirens, plodding, eerie, music and lyrics such as
I remember
We were flying along and hit something in the air

Life is flowing out my body
Pain is flowing out with my blood
The sheets are red and moist where I'm lying
God in Heaven, teach me how to die


If anyone knows of a creepier song, feel free to lay it on me.

DOA by Bloodrock
(File taken down, check current posts for some more great music)


Buy this CD


Funny Toon

Bonus Halloween Song

Monster Ass (Monster Mash parody) from the local radio station

0 comments: