Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Van Morrison Covers

Today in Music History:

1999, It was reported that Jimi Hendrix's sister Janie was planning to exhume her brothers body and move it to a pay-to view mausoleum. Other plans for the new site included a chance for fans to buy one of burial plots around the guitarist's new resting-place.
VanMorrisonI am always curious to hear people cover another artists song. I enjoy hearing the way they interpret the music. Sometimes a cover version might suck or someone might take the song in a whole different direction. There are numerous covers of the works of Van Morrison. A musical purist might say there is no such thing as a good cover version of a Van Morrison song. He did it best the first time. So what if one asked the question, What is the best cover version of a Van Morrison song? I suppose there would be a lot of debate. Maybe I can create a little debate with my choice. In my continuing best of series I would have to say Brown Eyed Girl by Jimmy Buffett as the best cover. Bet I get some dissenting opinions on this one. Let me tell ya why. Well actually I don't have too many reasons. The first being that I'm a Buffett fan. The second being because of the steel drums in this version. I'm a sucker for any song with some steel drums in it, and Buffett puts the steel drums to good use here. Well then there you have it and now let the debate begin. Feel free to tell me I'm full of crap eh?

Brown Eyed Girl by Jimmy Buffett

Buy this CD


Funny Toon

0 comments: