Friday, November 04, 2005

Fun Music

Today in Music History:

1963, The Beatles topped the bill at The Royal Variety Show at The Prince Of Wales Theatre, London. With the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret in the audience, this was the night when John Lennon made his famous remark “In the cheaper seats you clap your hands. The rest of you, just rattle your jewellery”.
It's been raining here for days, my last post was about people in planes, the one before that was about people dying in planes and darn it it's getting me down. So let's have a fun music post and put on a happy face.

RaffiOnce upon a time there was this feller named Raffi and some guy who was good doing computer stuff. If I knew his name I would give him credit, but I don't, One day the two collided. Kinda like a "hey you've got chocolate in my peanut butter" thing. I don't know bout that, but I do know that this piece of inspired flash movie short was born. Once You heard it, that sucker would stay in your head all day.The Flash was made by combining the song Bananaphone and the visuals from the Flash Badger Badger Badger (with Bananaphone additions); it can be found at lemonizer.com's list of mirrors. It was created by a user of the General Mayhem forums after the original Flash was posted there.

Raffi is a popular children's entertainer in Canada and Bananaphone is the name of an children's album, as well as a humorous song by Raffi, released in 1994. The lyrics describe a combination between a banana and a telephone, using many puns ("It's a phone with appeal!") and made up words like "bananular" and "interactive-odular" as Raffi extols the virtues of his unique telephone. Born in Cairo of Armenian parents, he spent his early years in Egypt before emigrating with his family to Toronto in 1958. Today, Raffi resides in Victoria, British Columbia. He's also been honored by being parodied on an episode of The Simpsons. Here's tyhe official unsped up version minus the badgers.

Bananaphone by Raffi

Buy this CD

(File taken down, check current posts for some more great music)

For a bonus song, I've got a track by a local band that played the bar circuit. This is a live recording taken from the soundboard which is actually pretty good quality. Everytime this song shows up on the player I have to listen to it 3 or 4 times before going on. It's pretty good and even though the band is now defunct this is a fun song. I love the bass and the vocals. The dude who played guitar said I could let you all hear it and he's interested in feedback. I forget who did it originally, so if anyone knows, educate me. I think it was Kathy Mattea. Let me know if you like this one as well as I do. Have a good weekend!

455 Rocket by TNT and the Blasting Caps

Funny Toon

0 comments: