Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Musical Knowledge

Today in Music History:

In 1967, The first issue of Rolling Stone Magazine was published in San Francisco. It came with a free roach clip to hold a marijuana joint.
knowledgeable guyFor a dumb guy there are a few things I know for sure. For example I know that after first hearing it 25 years ago, The Clash's London Calling is still the best album I have ever heard. Yeah there are a lot of classic albums out there, from Beatles to Zeppelin, and I'm sure some would argue vehemently with me, but I stand behind that thought.

I was a Dire Straits fan way before the "I want my MTV" thing. In fact I thought the Brothers in Arms album was subpar for this band. It might have been better if they had left Sting off that song. Because of the golden age of video it caused album sales to soar and made them superstars. Don't they have a new greatest hits album out now? Not sure. I do know that the song that follows is the best Dire Straits song ever. One might argue that Tunnel of Love is better and one might convince me after lengthy conversation.

Skateaway by Dire Straits
(File taken down, check current posts for some more great music)


Buy this CD

This comes from what I feel is the best Dire Straits album ever. Excellent songwriting and musicianship (what a great guitarist). Knopfler is at his height as a songwriter on this one. Skateaway and Tunnel of Love have to be two of the best songs he has written but every song on here is fantastic. Except for the last cut, Les Boys. Which is probably the worst Dire Straits song ever. How this song made it on this fine album I'll never know. It's tolerable though and has a tendency to grow on you if you're not careful.

Funny Toon

0 comments: