Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Another Power Trio

Today in Music History:

In 1975 Elton John hits #1 with his remake of the Beatles’ "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds." John Lennon plays guitar on this non-LP single under the pseudonym Dr. Winston O’Boogie.
men without shameIn late 1984 when the Stray Cats career started to decline and tensions among the band members were on the rise, Brian Setzer decided it was time to call it a day and the trio was no more. Bass player Lee Rocker and drummer Slim Jim Phantom hooked up with guitarist Earl Slick, who had played with David Bowie and Silver Condor as well as leading his own band. The Cat boys brought along their rockabilly roots, Slick brought along some glam rock muscle and in 1985 Phantom Rocker and Slick released their self titled debut. Most critics hated it, but I freakin' loved it. The best song by far on Phantom, Rocker and Slick is "Men Without Shame," a swaggering 6 1/2-minute jolt of pure electricity. Slick's guitar work is masterful and bears down on you like a locomotive. On the strength of this song alone the album stayed on the charts for six months. Keith Richards and Nicky Hopkins make an appearance on the album and there is not a bad song to be found. Several are in fact much better. My personal faves are What You Want and Lonely Actions.

In 1986 the guys released Covergirl which nobody seemed interested in. I immediately grabbed it up. Whereas the first album was a definite 10, Covergirl barely rated a 5 with me and it just sounded like it had been hurried along and didn't show any of the flash and excitement of the first album. I liked it but it was a bit of a let down. Sadly this album is out of print and hasn't seen the light of CD. My vinyl copy saw way too many parties and is unlistenable now which makes me very sad. Hear me oh record industry gods, we demand a reissue of Phantom Rocker and Slick on CD. This music is too damn good to be hid away from the kids. So my friends if you can find a copy of the first album, I suggest you pick it up and run. As of today Ebay has one copy on cassette for sale and that's all I could find. :-( But for my loyal readers I have a fairly good copy of Men Without Shame. Enjoy!

Men Without Shame by Phantom Rocker and Slick

EBAY

Funny Toon

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could find a blog that has their album "Cover Girl" I was hoping YOU did...that's why I came in here.