Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Required Listening

Today in Music History:

In 1964, 'Ring Of Fire' by Johnny Cash became the first Country album to go to No.1 in the US.
If any of you have followed the musings of homercat for any length of time, then you know that I focus mostly on older music. Every now and then I'll showcase something new because I don't think it's getting enough exposure. Either way, I never expected Rockin' to last this long, because I thought the paranoid RIAA would have shut homercat down by now for fear that someone may be getting free music. That has never been the purpose here. I notice some blogs will feature entire albums and that burns me up, because eventually those guys will get the rest of us shut down. I've always said all tracks here are for sampling and get taken down after a short time, and if someone requests it will be taken down immediately. I have always encouraged my readers to buy the music if you can get it. The big rub is that a lot of stuff I feature is out of print. Then where do you go to buy it? Homercat lurches around the used record stores a lot, searching for that ever elusive out of print album. A few readers have mentioned that because of some of my posts, they have purchased the album and a couple folks have even used the Amazon links I provide. Way to go peoples and I'm still waiting for a thank you from the RIAA for promoting their artists for free.

What does this have to do with the price of bread in Belgium you ask? Back in September I wrote a post and was asked politely in the comments to take the track down, which I immediately did. There was a curious exchange in the comments and I even suspect that the artist herself was the requester.(if so, I would love to do an interview, hint hint) Again I shall risk the wrath of said artist, only because I feel this an important, highly overlooked album that needs to be reissued so more people can enjoy this classic album. As it is now, used dealers are charging upwards of 50 bucks for this disc and it goes for anywhere from 40 to 200 bucks on Ebay. Of course I'm talking about Joanna Dean. Check out the original post and slightly curious comments. After having read that here's the killer title cut from that album, which will be up for a very short time and I encourage you all to find a copy at your local used record store. If you have a copy, you might want to get it insured by Lloyds of London. Good hunting.

Misbehavin' by Joanna Dean

Buy this CD


Funny Toon

0 comments: