Monday, January 09, 2006

Tommy Bolin

Today in Music History:

In 1967 The Gibb family moves from Australia to London, England. Within months, the Bee Gees enjoy their first international hit: "New York Mining Disaster 1941" (#14 U.S., #12 U.K.).
Tommy BolinWell if you've heard of this guy, then you are truly a rock historian, not to mention as old as me. Truly one of the most overlooked musicians in the last 40 years. A stint in the James Gang, Zephyr, Deep Purple and a couple outstanding solo albums. This guy had guitar moxie. He played in Moxy too. Born in Sioux City, IA, on August 1, 1951, he switched from drums and piano by age 13 and began playing the guitar in earnest. At age 16 he was expelled from school for his long hair. Gotta love that.

The first time I heard this stuff I think I had had a few too many pops and a smidge of weed. Years ago mind you. Yet that night I heard Private Eyes slayed me. I've only touched on a deep and lengthy history for a young guitarist who died way before he even got started. Check it out dudes. On December 4, 1976, after opening a show for Jeff Beck the previous night in Miami Florida, Tommy was found dead of a heroin overdose at the age of 25. It's unfair that this man doesn't get more recognition for the work he did. He was one of the most versatile guitarists of his time. He could play it all, and he did play it all. Psychodelic-blues with Zephyr, Rock n' Roll with the James Gang, Hard Rock with Deep Purple, Jazz with Alphonse Mouzun,, Fusion with Jan Hammer and Billy Cobham, and that's only half of it. Now with that all said, it's a cryin' shame this man is hardly heard of or his name isn't ever mentioned when discussing rock's finest guitarists. Have you heard of him? Damn it it ain't right. Listen to this track and you will feel the way I do. What a damn freakin waste. 25 and to play like this. What might have been. Sheeite. I appreciates ya Tommy. One more thing, I guarantee that no other music blog has or ever will mention Tommy. I hope I get proved wrong. Follow the trends or be educated. Your choice.


Post Toastee by Tommy Bolin
(File taken down, check current posts for some more great music)

Buy this CD


Funny Toon

Damn

0 comments: