Thursday, March 16, 2006

Streets of New York

Today in Music History:

In 1977, after being with the label for just six days The Sex Pistols were fired from A&M due to pressure from other label artists and it's Los Angeles head office. 25,000 copies of ‘God Save The Queen’ were pressed and the band made $127,500 from the deal.
For the last two months, I've pretty much had 4 CD's that have made the CD player their permanent home. So much so that they never go back on the shelf, they just sit next to the player and one of them is usually playing. I change up once in a while and pull something off the shelf, listen to it, then back to shelf it goes. The 4 I speak of are Limelight by Colin James, Out of Their Skulls by The Pirates, Devil's Playground by Billy Idol and Sea of No Cares by Great Big Sea. For the last three days that has changed. I got this new disc and I have been listening to it exclusively since and it keeps sounding better every time I hear it. Already I have listened to it over 40 times. The album is Streets of New York by Willie Nile.

willie nileTomorrow's St. Paddys day so this latest effort by a nice Irish Catholic boy fits in nicely. I did a little piece on Willie a while back so I won't repeat a lot of what was said there. The comparisons to Dylan and Springsteen are justified but at the same time a little unfair. Nile definitely has his own sound and the songwriting is definitely top notch. It's funny that one of my questions on the survey was about posting indie label stuff and it was unanimous from the over thirty respondents, that they didn't want to see that stuff here, yet here I am covering an indie label release. This album kicks off the 00:02:59 label (pronounced two minutes fifty-nine). The name comes from a lyric in the song "“Hitsville UK" from The Clash'’s Sandinista! album. The song describes a perfect record label where it is all about the music,– and where everyone gets along: "“the band went in and knocked '‘em dead in 2 minutes 59." So forgive me, but this CD needs some exposure.

The album has 14 strong cuts on it. Sitting here thinking about it, I can't pick out a favorite cut. I also can't pick out one that is below par. The song "Back Home" could be a power ballad for any person trying to find themself and their place in this world. "Cell Phones Ringing (In the Pockets of the Dead)" was written following the Madrid train bombings of March 2004. A cover of Eddy Grant's "Police on My Back" done in Clash copy mode, as a direct tribute to Joe Strummer, is right smack on. Nile, who is in his 50s, manages to accurately tell us about the giddy feeling of new love in the might-be-about-teenagers bouncy pop song "Asking Annie Out".

Am I so hungry for new rock music that I can relate to and doesn't suck, that I have lost my critical senses and have gone overboard with my praise for this album. Maybe it's just an average album and I have been blinded by actually hearing something decent for a change. If I had to criticize anything, it would be that on 2 songs, he sounds too much like Dylan, and those are probably my favorite cuts. Whatever the case it comes with a two paws way up from the homercat. If you do happen to purchase this album, I would be interested in hearing what someone else thought of it. So I re upped the link on my previous post for those who may have missed it and offer up a new one here. Tomorrow I will share some results from the survey as I will be closing it down, and I'll have a whole bunch of goodies geared towards my regular readers.

Best Friends Money Can Buy by Willie Nile

Buy this CD

St. Patty's
As a bonus here's a couple ditties that should go well with green beer and stuff, as my post tomorrow won't have anything to do with drunken celebrations. Also the survey closes tomorrow and thanks to all who participated.

The Night Pat Murphy Died
by Great Big Sea

Wasn't That A Party by The Irish Rovers

Funny Toon
Technorati Tags: ,,

0 comments: