Friday, June 16, 2006

Motorway

Today in Music History:

In 1984,Culled from roughly 100 songs recorded over the previous year and a half, Bruce Springsteen's 'Born in the U.S.A.' is released. It becomes one of the biggest albums of the Eighties, remaining at #1 for seven weeks and selling more than 15 million copies. It also launches seven Top Ten singles: "Dancing in the Dark" (#2), "Cover Me" (#7), "Born in the U.S.A." (#9), "I'm On Fire" (#6), "Glory Days" (#5), "I'm Goin' Down" (#9) and "My Hometown" (#6).
Still working those crazy shifts. Tired as hell and couldn't even get close to the comp. It's almost summer anyway. Most people have better things to do than waste their reading this drivel. Besides I just spent 2 hours writing a great post and this blogger motherfucker just ate it. Which homercatis very disheartening. Especially when you're so pressed for time. Bottom Line is that this album from 1978 is a rock. 1978's Power in the Darkness by the Tom Robinson Band from the UK, was an occasionally stunning piece of punk/hard rock agitprop that, along with being ferociously direct, was politicized rock that focused more on songs than slogans. Tom was an openly gay dude who even sang about it and he was a highly charged political guy. Thanks to my blogger fuck up I am not going into everything I wrote before. I Know that the song I have here today is one of rock's great drive-all-night numbers, and I put it to good use back in the day. We chanted that mother. Especially fitting with my all nighters I've been putting in lately.

As to his current whereabouts, Robinson is rumored to be married to a woman and raising a family in England. He's still writing songs and occasionally performing, but it can be safely assumed that whatever he's doing, it's light years away from the radical energy and excitement of Power in the Darkness. Too bad y'all didn't get to see the original post. I have learned, save and save often.

2 4 6 8 Motorway by the Tom Robinson Band
Buy It


Funny Toon

0 comments: