Wednesday, September 27, 2006

My Old Friend

This is supposed to be strictly a music blog. I can't help but sometimes getting a little personal and opinionated. Some of you can attest to this if you've read a few of the rants that spew forth sometimes. Today is one of those Days.

My friend, confidant, inspiration and namesake of this blog passed away yesterday morning. It was very sudden and happened without the slightest warning. He was his happy and hungry self when we went to bed Monday night. I woke at 7 in the morning for a little bathroom necessity and he jumped off the bed and followed me in as he does every morning, hoping that I got up early to feed him as usual. I went back to lay down for another hour and the missus got up at eight to get ready for work and my old friend Homer lay dead in front of the bathroom door. Our household was in shock.

Homer adopted us about 3 and a half years ago from the shelter. As we were browsing in the common cat area, this old boy came right up to me and sat next to my leg. When ever we moved to look at a different kitty he followed and sat right next to me. After five minutes it was obvious we had been picked. I told the old lady that we could quit looking. We had no idea how old he was and on his first check up at the vet, they estimated he was between 4 and 7, but they couldn't say exactly. It was evident upon taking home that he had more than likely had been abused in his past. He did a lot of flinching.

Homer became an important part of our family and had more human qualities than a lot of people I know. Many of you have become familiar with him through his silly little photo's that appeared here on a regular basis. Most of the time he would be sitting on the chair next to me as I worked on these little projects. He had this funny little way of stirring his water with his paw before he drank it. He was a big dude and was always making us laugh.

The vet thinks he probably had a heart attack or some kind of brain aneurysm and that he died instantly. Needless to say we remain devastated. I'm certainly unsure about the future of this site. A lot of what went on here revolved around him. Pics, address, hosting and countless other things. I'm sure that he wouldn't mind if I continued on using his likeness and name and in fact it would be a great tribute to him to do so. Right now it is too difficult to contemplate.

Some would say that it's dumb to get so bent out of shape over an animal. Those of you that own pets know that they are part of the family and it's not so dumb. Some would say there's a lot more problems in the world and people with a million times worse problems than what I'm dealing with right now. That doesn't make things any easier at the present time. I had been toying with the idea of changing over to my own domain name and moving the site. This may or may not happen now. I am unsure what to do.

Every night Homer would sleep next to me, it will be hard to fall asleep now. Every morning when I came home from work Homer was there at the door to greet me. This morning there was an emptiness and sadness when I opened that door. Please indulge me as I pay tribute to this fine feline with a few songs.

Ride On by ACDC(his favorite song)
Sending the Old Man Home by Jimmy Buffett(I know it's about an old sailor but somehow seems appropriate)
One More Arrow by Elton John
my friend Homer

Homer

I used to know this old scarecrow
He was my song, my joy and sorrow
Cast alone between the furrows
Of a field no longer sown by anyone

I held a dandelion
That said the time had come
To leave upon the wind
Not to return
When summer burned the earth again

Cultivate the freshest flower
This garden ever grew
Beneath these branches
I once wrote such childish words for you

But that's okay
There's treasure children always seek to find
And just like us
You must have had
A once upon a time

Curtains-Elton John


Thanks for adopting us Homer. Goodbye old friend, I miss you dearly.

0 comments: