Monday, October 09, 2006

Beer and Pussy

Today in Music History:

1973 Elvis and Priscilla Presley divorce in Santa Monica, California.
Many of you may have heard my praise of the great Canadian folkie artist Valdy and managed to catch a few tunes here. For example let me share this email from Scott, An American Valdy fan from the tunes he found here.
Thought you might enjoy a small event in my workplace yesterday - I was playing Rock and Roll Song at my computer (thank you, by the way), and my boss, a misplaced Canadian as it happens, walked by. He took a half dozen steps past me, stopped, stared at the wall for a few seconds, rushed back and shouted 'Is that Valdy? Where did you get that?' On the whole, a nice moment, for which I thank you.
That is an awesome moment for what I'm trying to do here.

So Scott if you liked that Valdy guy then you better check out Dan Reeder. An American transplanted to Germany version. Honestly upon hearing Dan Reeder's new disc,"Sweetheart", I was thinking, damn, this guy sounds like Valdy, with an edge.

Valdy sings songs of peace and contentment and Dan sings of his love of beer, pussy, titties and just wanting to be alone and contentment. Actually Dan is an artist in his own right. He just dabbles in this music stuff as a sideline. The first track on this album about waiting for his Cappuccino is hilarious in a folksy way. By the fourth track, I Drink Beer, Dan has me hooked with his folksie observations. When the last two tracks came into play I was sold. Track 15,"Just Leave Me alone Today" and the final track a haunting cover of "Whiter Shade of Pale" left me wanting to replay this disc over again. Which I did four times in a row until the old lady yelled enough already, please some heavy rock n roll dear.

Not exactly rock n roll but the stuff is there, especially if you like the milder side of life. Worth the purchase price for the final track alone the rest of the disc is nice folk wisdom and observations of our time. I like to rock but I found this alternative sideline a nice slice of life, and beats the hell out of that lousy sufjan guy. Good job Dan! Thanks!




Pussy Titty
by Dan Reeder
Shoot Me to the Moon by Dan Reeder
A whiter Shade of Pale by Dan Reeder
Buy It


Funny Toon

Coming up, the creepies!

0 comments: