Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Creepfest #3

Today in Music History:

In 1995, during an interview with The Observer magazine, Noel Gallagher from Oasis said he wished Demon Albarn and Alex Cox of Blur would die from AIDS. He later retracted his statement.
AshIn the comments from my last post Kevin tells us the story about a song that scared the crap out of him as a kid. Homercat too has a story about a song from his youth that scared the bejeebus out of him. In fact it so disturbed this cat, that to this day I can't listen to this song without getting the heebies. The song was DOA from Bloodrock, a Texas hard rock band from the early seventies. The song came out in 1971 and homercat was but a wee kitty. This is an eight-and-a-half minute dirge describing a plane-crash victim's final minutes in excruciating, amazing detail. With its foreboding organ, vivid lyrics ("The sheets are red and moist where I'm lying, God in Heaven teach me how to die"), and lead singer Jim Rutledge's creepy ass vocals, this song managed to reach number 36 on the billboard charts and gave me agonizing nightmares. Unfortunately I don't have it to post here for you, although I did feature it last year. It just freaks me out too much and had to remove it from my computer.

I do have a tune from Blue Oyster Cult that has a bit of a creepy feel. This song can be found on the Fire of Unknown Origin album. The story (at least what I think) behind this one is about the actress who was portrayed in older horror movies who comes back from the dead to haunt her daughter who actually wrote a book about how horrible of a mother she was. That is what you get when you back talk the dead.
Joan Crawford by Blue Oyster Cult
Buy It

There should be a song aboutwitches somewhere on your Halloween disc, and I think this would make a fine addition. A Rob Zombie tune from his latest album. We will go into Mr. Zombie's contributions to ghoulish material in a later post but for now enjoy this one.
American Witch by Rob Zombie
Buy It

This next song has appeared in a number of films and TV shows including: The X-Files; Dumb & Dumber; Scream, its sequels Scream 2 & 3; and Hellboy (performed by Pete Yorn). It has a decidedly eerie feeling to it and is a perfect complement to any Halloween mix.

Red Right Hand by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Buy It

Funny Toon

0 comments: