Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Here There be Pirates, Arrrr!

Today in Music History:

In 2005, Coldplay's new album was illegally put on the internet a week before its release. The leak took place on the day copies were sent to UK radio stations and the day before it went on sale in Japan. Any CDs that were sent out to journalists were labelled with a false name - The Fir Trees - to throw would-be pirates off the scent.

Arrgh MateysShiver me timbers, I nearly forgot about the upcoming Buccaneer Days in Esquimalt. Good thing I noticed this little graphic in the local paper. With only sixteen days left, it hardly gives me time to brush up on my Pirate accent.Ahh Buccaneer days. Strange goings on in Esquimalt. The Saturday morning of Buccaneer Days a firetruck goes around the neighborhood waking people up at 7:30 for the pancake breakfast. The first year I worked in Esquimalt, I was at work and I wondered what the hell was going on (for the longest time while cleaning the beer store all I could hear was a siren, and a muffled voice. As it got closer I heard some dude yelling "Wakey wakey wakey. It's time to get up. Pancake breakfast time", through a megaphone). I asked what the heck was going on and I was clued in. It's kinda like a mini fair with a pirate theme. There's a parade, carnival, and a street dance. How this got started is still a mystery to me as I don't think this region was particularly notorious for pirates. We do have one of Canada's Naval bases there.

Not Homercat,  ARRRRIt's too bad they do this in June. They should switch it to the fall so it coincides with Talk Like A Pirate Day, which is September 19. Guess we can't have it all. Gives us Victorians a chance to dress and talk like a pirate twice a year and everyone loves talking like a pirate. Tell me who hasn't ever talked like a pirate, and if you never have, shame on you. It's fun. So homercat will dust off the eye patch, polish up the hook, varnish the pegleg and practice my ARRRS and Mateys to get ready. Why would you care, you may ask. Well it gives me a perfect excuse to line up a batch of tunes about and by Pirates for me first mates to enjoy.


Jolly Roger by Adam and the Ants
Buy It

You're a Pirate by LazyTown
Buy It

A Pirate Looks at 40 by Jimmy Buffett
Buy It

The Last Saskatchewan Pirate by The Arrogant Worms

Shakin'All Over by Johnny Kidd and the Pirates
Buy It

Do the Dog by The Pirates


Funny Toon

0 comments: