Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Trips Around the Sun

Today in Music History:

In 1974, Drummer Keith Moon of tThe Who collapsed during a concert after his drink was spiked with horse tranquilliser. 19 year-old Scott Halpin who was in the audience, volunteered to replace him on drums for the remaining three numbers.

It was 4 years ago this month when Good Rockin' Tonight was born. It struggled along under a different name during it's first year and then the name was changed three years ago when the cat decided to get serious about it. Rockin' just started out as a hobby from a cat with too much time on his hands. Unable to work so I wanted to share my love of music with anyone that wanted to stop by.

The original intent was to expose classic stuff to these younger generational types and get them to buy it. Stuff that never got radio play and especially out of print stuff. I didn't want some of my favorite tunes to be relegated to obscurity in an old fogies time capsule somewhere. Over time I also have tackled new artists that tickled my fancy, although that area is getting trickier to navigate now. Major labels are wanting to sue at the drop of a hat anyone who even posts a single tune. For the most part I'll work with the indie labels that want to promote their artists as they actually want to promote their artists and aren't all sue happy. I think they actually like the free promotion I do for them here. A couple of weeks ago I featured an album that has been out of print since the early 80's by Sue Saad and the Next. Even though it has been out of print for over 25 years and the record label has no intention of ever putting it out on cd, it was quickly deleted. So unfortunately another lost classic will likely fade away. I just wanted to revive it and believe me if it ever got released on cd I would buy it in a hearbeat, even though I have it on mp3. In fact I recently read an article on MSN or somewhere like that, that studies have shown that people who download music are more likely to go out and purchase the cd's than people who don't. Yet the major labels can't see past the nose on their face and are killing the golden goose by being such ass lickers. Personally on average I buy 2 cd's a week and I download like a mutha posessed.

I digress yet again. Times have changed. When I started out I might get 12 visitors a week. Now just recently I surpassed the 250,000 visitor mark which has exceeded every expectation I had for this site. Even though my output has decreased my readership continues to grow. Unfortunately life happens and now instead of being unable to work, homercat has two part time jobs and is also the house husband and it has seriously decreased the amount of time I am able to spend here. I used to respond to all your kind comments and now I barely have time to jump on the net. The major labels hate what us music bloggers are doing and it becomes more difficult when posting content. Back in September I got my first cease and desist letter. I gladly quit promoting that artist for free for them. As you can see things are different than when I started.

That being said as Good Rockin' tonight completes it's 4th trip around the sun, homercat will continue to try to entertain it's reader's and try to keep exposing great music to the young and old alike. I really hated that my computer crashed back in October as it's my favorite time of year for bringing out the creepy classics. Time does not permit 4 or 5 posts a week but I'll be here at least once or twice a week. Also I will commit myself to responding to my reader's if they take the time to leave a comment. I thank each and every one of you who have taken time out of their busy schedules to drop by. So if you missed the Sue Saad I have a link if anyone's interested. And now for a few gems from the vault. Remember downloading is a great way to get exposed to new music but don't forget to support the artist and buy their stuff too. Here's to 4 more years.

Happy Birthday by Weird Al Yankovic
Buy It

Birthday by Meredith Brooks
Buy It

Good Girls Go to Heaven (Bad Girls Go Everywhere) by Cheap Trick
Buy It (out of print)

Full Moon Turn My Head Around by Off Broadway
Buy It

Drug Store Truck Drivin' Man by Jason and the Scorchers
Buy It (out of Print)


Funny Toon

0 comments: