Monday, May 26, 2008

Heaven Forbid

Today in Music History:

In 1969 John Lennon and Yoko Ono conduct a bed-in at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal. They record "Give Peace a Chance," with Tommy Smothers, Timothy Leary and others.
I know, I know it's been too long since I've been here. The joys of working 3 jobs really limits a person's time to do other things. To try to get back in the swing of things homercat is going to focus on an album at a time, instead of focusing on just the artists. This will coincide with another project I'm working on and some of you know what I'm talking about eh. So I'm going to pull out a couple of albums a week, give my take on it, throw out a sample and maybe interest 1 or 2 of you guys into buying it. Any discs that grace these pages is worth buying or else it wouldn't be in my collection.

Blue Oyster CultToday's lost gem will be Heaven Forbid by Blue Oyster Cult. When I was ten in 1973 I heard my best friends older brother playing the newest BOC album, Tranny and Mutation and I was blown away and became a permanent die hard fan of BOC from that day on. Now with over 30 years of history under their belt, BOC are one of hard rock's most iconic outfits. They have seen and done it all. From bar room obscurity to the top of the charts and back again their career is the consummate rock 'n roll story. And they're still touring. Heaven Forbid was released in 1998 and it had been ten years since their last album. The album opens with a bludgeoning "I'd Like To See You In Black" which is pure unadulterated metal. Probably one of the heaviest things BOC has ever recorded. In fact the song could just as easily be Metallica as Blue Oyster Cult, but with it's trademark Eric Bloom howl and twisted lyrics this one is vintage BOC all the way. The line "I'd like to see you in black....it'd make me feel like your husband's dead" is a classic BOC lyric. American science fiction and horror writer John Shirley wrote lyrics for several songs on the album. If radio had given this one a chance it could have been huge. I have been playing the heck out of this album for the last couple weeks. I forgot how good it was. I am fully aware that I have done a Cult post in the past(and probably will do so again in the future), so this one just focuses on the one album.

See You in Black
Real World
Buy It


Funny Toon

0 comments: