Thursday, May 08, 2008

Trouble in Mind

Today in Music History:

In 1993 'Get a Grip,' Aerosmith's 11th studio album, debuts at #1. It goes on to sell 7 million copies in the U.S. and more than 10 million worldwide. It also ushers forth another quartet of hits: "Livin' On the Edge" (#18), "Cryin'" (#12), "Amazing" (#24) and "Crazy" (#17).

If you haven’t already heard any of Hayes Carll's music, then I must ask where the heck have you been? His new album Trouble in Mind came out in April and yes folks we have another entry into the top 10 albums of the year. I've already told you about seeing Hayes in concert back in Feb. After seeing his performance homercat did something he has never done in his life. For the first time ever I pre-ordered someone's album. I did it the day after the concert. Folks I'm here to tell you this guy is someone you're going to hear a lot about in the future.

The 32-year-old Texan's songs blend some of the finest elements of folk, country and rock with brainy, quirky lyrics. Trouble in Mind is the third album from Hayes. His first record was recorded in five days, the second one in twelve days and on his newest he had the luxury of spending a whole month on the project. Some of the songs could melt even the hardest heart in town, such as the tear-in-your-beer waltz "Beaumont," in which a suitor bearing a single white rose makes a fruitless trip to try to win over a lady love. There are ragged, brawling roadhouse tunes such as "I Got A Gig" or "Wild as a Turkey." One of my favorite tracks the satirical, tongue in cheek “She Left Me For Jesus” is a downright hoot. A clueless lover is upset and suspicious over the changes in his girlfriend. The premise of course is that the guy doesn't know who Jesus is or was, and just thinks his girlfriend found a new guy...some sandal wearing long haired hippy commie type.
SHE LEFT ME FOR JESUS AND THAT JUST AINT FAIR
SHE SAYS THAT HES PERFECT HOW COULD I COMPARE
SHE SAYS I SHOULD FIND HIM AND ILL KNOW PEACE AT LAST
IF I EVER FIND JESUS IM KICKIN HIS ASS
Some folks might say well homercat this Hayes Carll sounds a little to close to country for my taste. Not really say I. I can go from listening to Iron Maiden straight into Hayes Carll, because the bottom line is whether metal, pop, country or any other form of music, good is good. So take my word for it, this is one artist you should definitely check out.

I Got A Gig by Hayes Carll
She Left Me for Jesus by Hayes Carll
Buy It

Funny Toon

0 comments: