Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Up to Here

Today in Music History:

In 1974, Mamas And The Papas singer Cass Elliot died from a heart attack after choking on her own vomit. She was staying at Harry Nilson's London flat when she died. Her only solo hit was 'Dream a Little Dream of Me,' which also featured the rest of The Mamas and The Papas.
The Tragically HipThe Tragically Hip are one of Canada's best kept secrets. The Hip have a small but fervent American following, especially in border states such as Michigan, Vermont and upstate and western New York. Otherwise they have gone largely unnoticed in the states. In 1989 they released their first full length album, Up To Here, one of the best rock n' roll albums there is and it made the band almost instantly famous in Canada. Although it was recorded in Memphis and also released in the United States, there was little reaction to it there. I heard my first Hip song back in 2002 when I was first introduced to them. I immediately soaked up all the Hip that I could get my hands on. There is always the good natured debate among fans as to what the best Hip album is. While Fully Completely is regarded by many as their best album, I just don't see it that way (Fourth maybe). Another candidate is Road Apples, yet I can't jump on that bandwagon either(possibly second) . For me Up to Here is the one that I consider not only as their best, but also as one of the Top 100 albums of all time. It may be that there is some bias for my choice, being it was the first Tragically Hip album I ever heard. Even so this is a strong album holding not a single klunker. One thing is for certain, every album the Hip have put out has become an instant Canadian classic. Including their last studio album World Container, which I thought contained some of their best work since Up to Here.

I can only assume that the Tragically Hip did not get sufficient support from their record label. That's the only reason I can think of that this album wasn't a monster hit elsewhere like it was in Canada. Possibly their albums contained too much Canadian content and the rest of the world didn't get it. Oh well, this is muscular hard rock in the traditional (i.e. pre-grunge) style that just kicks ass. Folks unfamiliar with the Hip should immediately pick this one up and become enamored of the band the same way I did.


Blow At High Dough
New Orleans Is Sinking
Buy It


Funny Toon

0 comments: