Thursday, August 28, 2008

Powerage

powerageToday is the day. Finally after an eight year wait, the new AC/DC single hits the airwaves(sorry it won't be here, go buy it). I was major stoked initially because only 30 or so miles away they were in Vancouver recording this darn thing. Yeah in the studio in Canada folks. They could've done it in Australia, but they chose Canada eh. With the new album set to arrive in October I am so psyched. See I Heart AC/DC. These guys have been my fave since I first heard High Voltage in 1976. Four years later I was devastated to learn of Bon Scott's death. I didn't think anyone could replace him. While Brian Johnson has filled in admirably, especially with the Back in Black album being second only to Michael Jackson's Thriller as the best-selling album of all-time. But as far as AC/DC goes, I am firmly in the "Bon Scott" camp. As awesome an album that Back in Black is, it doesn't hold a candle to Highway to Hell. Yet those two albums are definitely on my list of Top 100 albums of all time. Bottom line though, Scott or Johnson, it doesn't matter because AC/DC is a kick ass rock n roll band. Thank you guys for the new album, it's been way too long. My only bitch, Why Wal-Mart? Why available exclusively at Wal-Mart? I do everything in my power to avoid that place like the plague and now you're going to force me to go into that hellhole to buy your new album. I quit buying music at that place over ten years ago, when it started it's censorship policies against musicians. Namely provide a "clean" version of your album or we won't sell it. I was never more pissed off than when I bought a Motley Crue album there only to get home and find out it was full of bleeps cause it was the "clean" version. Since that day I piss on Wal-Mart. Enough of that now, I just had to get that out of my system.


Now onward to the most underrated and overlooked album in AC/DC's catalogue. Powerage is the fifth studio album by Australian hard rock band AC/DC, released in May 1978 and my favorite of the whole bunch. It is also AC/DC's fourth international studio album. Powerage is the first AC/DC album to be released nearly simultaneously in both Australian and international markets, and the first to use just one cover image for both. It was also the first to feature the same track listing on all versions, with the exception of European vinyl editions. These included "Cold Hearted Man", a song that has not been officially released on any other AC/DC album, and some omitted "Rock 'n' Roll Damnation". Almost nothing from this album receives any radio play, which is extremely unfortunate as the quality of the songwriting and the familiar and distinct hard rock sound that made AC/DC legendary has remained firmly intact. There are some masterpieces on this album and I rank it as their second best behind Highway to Hell and before their third best, Back in Black.

Riff Raff
Gimme A Bullet
Buy It


Funny Toon

0 comments: