Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Pure

gary numanThe cat is back, more about the downtime later. In the meantime...

In 2000 Gary Numan released Pure which was a follow up to his 1997 album, Exile. It was not commercially successful but it was highly praised by critics with the consensus being this was his best work since his 79/80 period. Prominent guitar work, as well as strong vocals dominate this album. The opening/title song was typical of most tracks on the album, beginning with ethereal strings and piano effects that gave way to an industrial metal guitar riff before breaking into a thunderous chorus. His fat synthesizer sound and occasionally nihilistic lyrics had a major impact on the goth rock and industrial acts that came to prominence in the mid-nineties such as Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails, who have both acknowledged Numan as a big influence on their own music, and Pure's style has sometimes been compared NIN's, although truth be told NIN style should be compared to Numan's. Trent Reznor has even said that while recording Pretty Hate Machine, he listened to Numan's Telekon album every day.

I've long been a fan of Numan's yet I have to play his stuff when I'm alone in the house as Mrs. Homercat can't stand his music...Until she heard this album that is. When she first heard "I Can't Breathe", I had to immediately play it again she liked it so much. Then she says, "I never thought I would ever say I actually liked a Gary Numan song, but Homercat, you found one". In fact every time it comes up on the old random playlist, we have to listen to it twice and she follows it up with a, "Man that song kicks ass!". If you're a fan of industrial music then this will be right up your alley.

Rip
I Can't Breathe
Buy It

Funny Toon

0 comments: