Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Another Darn Year

Homercat turned around and not only was it November but the 11th month is almost over and I'll be damned if Christmas isn't but a month away. What I almost missed is Good Rockin's birthday. It was 5 years ago this month when Good Rockin' Tonight was born. Rockin' just started out as a hobby from a cat with too much time on his hands. Unable to work so I wanted to share my love of music with anyone that wanted to stop by. Over this 5 years I have seen many a site come and go. Recently a lot of my fave places to visit on the web have been disappearing. Many places have become tired of the hassles that seem to go hand and hand with trying to promote music. If you are a music blogger then you know what I speak of. Luckily a lot of indie labels and artists aren't so anal about posting a track for some free publicity, which keeps my inbox full of music submissions. Even so, eventually I expect to get hit by the music police and this site will probably be forced to close it's doors. I hate what the record industry has become and in a way this site has been my statement to that effect. I have been sharing music with people for 40 years. From the time I was a kid, my friends and I shared our music with each other. I remember having an 8 track recorder and recording 45's and albums with it. This in no way ever affected my buying tendencies, quite the opposite as I usually would buy more. I have a massive collection that I have paid for and people ask me all time when they see it, do you actually listen to all this? The answer is yes. The only day I watch TV is on Saturdays where I watch the few select shows I have taped. Every other minute of every day is spent listening to music. Recent studies have also shown that people that share music tend to buy more music than the average joe. The record companies just don't get it. In fact they never have. So on even though Good Rockin' Tonight is celebrating 5 years of musical yumminess, I wanted to give a heads up to all of you in case this blog just disappears one day. I also want to thank those of you who stop by here on a semi regular basis.


The original intent here was to expose classic stuff to these younger generational types and get them to buy it. Stuff that never got radio play and especially out of print stuff. I didn't want some of my favorite tunes to be relegated to obscurity in an old fogies time capsule somewhere. Over time I also have tackled new artists that tickled my fancy, although that area is getting trickier to navigate now. In the scheme of the WWW my little place here is an obscure sidetrack compared to some of the music bloggers out there. One thing I am quite proud of was about 3 or 4 months ago, one of those heavy hitter blogs linked to my site because of a song that I had posted and called Rockin' one of the oddest mp3 blogs out there. Thank you, thank you. Homercat never wanted to be normal like everyone else. If I have an "odd" mp3 blog then so be it.

Since I am so odd and the original purpose here was to showcase older stuff, I think it would be great to have some old, obscure, odd novelty tunes served up for my 5th birthday. Enjoy.

Who Is It? by Carlton the Doorman
Junkfood Junkie by Larry Groce
Wildwood Weed by Jim Stafford
Disco Duck by Rick Dees
The Rodeo Song by Showdown
Convoy by CW McCall
Alimony by Weird Al Yankovic


Funny Toon

0 comments: