Monday, March 23, 2009

Up


I have often featured the tunes of Great Big Sea over the years and today and maybe even all week there will probably be more. The fact that I'm finally going to get to see these guys come Thursday night might have something to do with it. Some of you may recall that I listed their new album Fortunes Favour as a top 10 of 2008 and I really can't wait to see this show. Great Big Sea (often shortened to GBS) is a Canadian folk-rock band from Newfoundland and Labrador, best known for performing energetic rock interpretations of traditional Newfoundland folk songs including sea shanties, which draw from the island's 500-year-old Irish, English, and French heritage. The band also performs original awesome material.

Today's cuts come from the bands second album, Up, which came out in 1995 and is certified platinum in Canada. There are many raucous tunes here that would have been perfect for a St. Patricks Day party. I know a it's a few days late but better late than never and consider it a jump on next year's festivities. So I may be putting up more by GBS this coming week. I think they're amazing.

Lukey
Goin' Up
Mari-Mac
Buy It

Funny Toon

0 comments: