Monday, April 13, 2009

Rock Animals

Shonen KnifeRock Animals is a 1994 album by the all-female Japanese pop punk band Shonen Knife. Heavily influenced by 1960s girl groups and early punk rock bands such as The Ramones, the trio crafts stripped-down songs expressing infectious melodies and simplistic, exhuberant lyrics sung both in Japanese and English. They have been around since 1981 and are still at it. Shonen Knife has carved out a niche that combines wide-eyed cuteness with unbridled rock & roll. Many alternative rock groups such as Sonic Youth, Kurt Cobain of Nirvana, and Redd Kross have cited Shonen Knife as a favorite of theirs. In fact Kurt Cobain often spoke of his admiration for them, stating, "When I finally got to see them live, I was transformed into a hysterical nine-year-old girl at a Beatles concert." The band opened for Nirvana at nine concerts in late 1991 and six in December 1993.

I originally bought this album back in 94 because of the many artists who claimed them as favorites. Not having heard a lick of their music, I went ahead and got it. Well it certainly was different and at first I was like, what the hell, but then after a second and third listen I began to get it. They have an irresistible charm and the songs get stuck in your head and you can't shake it. Before I knew it, Bam, I was a fan. Am I just a sucker for girls that can rock? Probably, but that doesn't stop me from liking Shonen Knife and trying to expose more people to them.

Quavers
Concrete Animals
Buy It

Funny Toon

0 comments: