Friday, July 10, 2009

Authentic Pirate Hip Hop

I should save this post for September 19th which is International Talk Like A Pirate Day but I couldn't wait. When I discover something this great homercat has to spread the word. All Props to sammie for making me aware of Captain Dan and the Scurvy Crew. Captain Dan and his crew have been around since 2006 and have three albums under their belt. Yes this is a group specializing in pirate-themed hip hop music. Captain Dan & the Scurvy Crew combines elements from hip hop music genres such as gangsta rap, nerdcore hip hop, and crunk with Baroque and Classical instrumentation.

Authentic Pirate Hip Hop is the first album by these guys and it covers all of the important aspects of pirate life, from looting and drinking, life on the high seas, threats against rival pirate crews, to wenches and of course, rum. Now my friend Sammie knows that I'm not a big fan of rap music but he told me that I had to hear this and he was right. Their music creates a perfect juxtaposition between the golden age of piracy and the modern age of the gangsta. The beats are great, the lyrics have an intelligent They Might Be Giants-esque quality,(all the pirate slang and nautical terms are used accurately) and if that's not enough- many of the tracks are simply hilarious! Many of you may be thinking I have lost my mind but these guys are awesome and you've got to check them out. Don't let the album cover fool you. I know it features a weak-ass looking pirate wearing $5 worth of Halloween clearance rack pirate gear. Get a gander at these tracks and then track down and buy the album (best bet at cdbaby.com). It's well worth it and absolutely brilliant.

The 7 Seas
Flintlock Glock
Mutiny

Buy It

Funny Toon

0 comments: