Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Bricks Are Heavy

Bricks Are Heavy is the third album by the Los Angeles all female band L7, released in April 1992. Although L7 was associated with the horrible "grunge" movement of the 90's. I would heavily disagree with that. Musically the album is heavier and dirtier than the band's previous two recordings or any of the so called grunge artists. While the band retained its punk and hardcore punk roots, there was more emphasis on heavy metal than before. Heavy and dirty it is. The band's name derives from a 1950s slang phrase meaning "square," but is often mistaken for a reference to the sex position, "69". The slang phrase "L7" can be heard in the classic Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs song "Wooly Bully" ("Let's not be L7, come and learn to dance..."), in the Rick James song "Bustin' Out" ("L7- just a little too damn straight..."), and in the Paul McCartney song "C-Moon" ("I could be L7 and I'll never get to heaven if I fill my head with glue").

These girls were rockin nasty and had their share of controversy during their career. Supposedly at the 1992 Reading Festival, Donita Sparks removed her used tampon on-stage and threw it into the crowd yelling "Eat my used tampon, fuckers!" in protest against the mud being thrown by the crowd. Now I wasn't there so I couldn't confirm that as 100% fact but I've read it everywhere. Or how about during a live show in London in 2000, the band offered a one night stand with drummer Dee Plakas as a raffle prize; the winner later claimed his prize of sex with her on the tour bus. Again I'm not sure how to confirm the truthfulness of this as I wasn't the winner of the raffle. My kind of rockin' women.

Pretend We're Dead
Shitlist
Buy It

Funny Toon

0 comments: