Thursday, October 01, 2009

House of a Thousand Guitars

Back in 2006 Willie Nile released what I considered the best (albeit unknown) record of the year and quite possibly may be the best album to be released in the last five years. The album was called Streets of New York and it was fantastic. Right from the opening intro, this record, for lack of a better expression, kicks ass! The day I got this I listened to it ten times in a row, then it was bedtime. I still listen to it all the time. Well Willie has gone and done it again with an outstanding new effort.

House of a Thousand Guitars Is Willie Nile's sixth studio album which came out earlier this year. It literally picks up right where his previous album left off. On this album he demonstrates the diversity of his song writing and performing abilities with an equal mix of classic guitar rock and an equal part of his deep and sensitive piano ballads. I might as well say it now. Looks like I'll be rating this album as the best album of 2009 come December. I believe the magic of Willie Nile is his unbridled passion for life that permeates the man and his music. I can best describe the album through the lens of the title track, a hook-driven song about an imaginary place where great musicians dwell and can make their music in peace. “You can spread your fingers ‘cross the universe . . . in the House of a Thousand Guitars,” sings Nile, while naming House denizens Jimi Hendrix, Robert Johnson, Hank Williams, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, John Lennon, Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker, who, as the lyric says, is “gonna kick your ass.”

Willie Nile has likely made the best album of his career and I really didn't think he'd be able to top his last one. There is a song for every mood on this album. Each time I listen to it I enjoy it more than the last. Radio and the RIAA be damned, this work deserves to be heard!

House of a Thousand Guitars
Give Me Tomorrow
Buy It

Funny Toon

0 comments: