Friday, January 22, 2010

Top Ten Albums of 2009

Finally I have got around to making my top ten albums of 2009 list. So what is the homercat criteria for being a "best" album. I could go into all the things I gauge it on, but it simply boils down to which full albums did I listen to the most after purchasing them. I have listened to the albums on this list countless number of times and personally I am thrilled to death with each and every one. My list looks like no other top ten list from last year and that's the way I like it. I don't follow the trendy set. Homercat blazes his own trail. Each album here is a worthy addition to any collection even if a couple of them make you groan out loud.

#1 Rooftops and Satellites by Colin James
Colin James
It was close as to what the number one album was going to be. Willie Nile came close. but I have been listening to this over and over and over again. I have been trying to get the James name out there over the years as he is relatively unknown outside his native Canada. If you buy only one album this year this should be the one.

Find My Home
Buy It

#2 House of A Thousand Guitars by Willie Nile
Willie Nile
Back in 2006 Willie Nile released what I considered the best (albeit unknown) record of the year and quite possibly may be the best album to be released in the last five years. The album was called Streets of New York and it was fantastic. House of a Thousand Guitars is Willie Nile's sixth studio album and it literally picks up right where his previous album left off. There is a song for every mood on this album. Another masterpiece from another relatively unknown that needs more love. This song I have here is simply stunning and heartbreaking.

Now That the War is Over
Buy It

#3 21st Century Breakdown by Green Day
Green Day
Green Day really nailed it with this album. This was the first Green Day album I ever purchased because I never really got into them. I liked a couple tunes by them but never enough to go out and buy one of their albums. A great concept album that really needs to be listened to in it's entirety to truly appreciate the greatness of this album. Of all the albums I have listed here this one has probably had the most exposure. So I won't be putting up a song for this one.

Buy It

#4 Let the Dominoes Fall by Rancid
Rancid
Let the Dominoes Fall is the seventh full-length album from punk rock band Rancid. This is their first album of new material in nearly six years and it debuted at #11 on the Billboard 200, making this Rancid's highest charting album to date. The first four songs on the album showcase everything that's right about the band. There's a few cosmetic differences here and there but the fire, spirit, and strength the band exhibited since their debut in the early '90s hasn't faded at all. Songs like "Dominos Fall" and "Locomotive" fly out of the speakers like demons on pcp. Almost manages to recapture the glory of Out come the Wolves. I said almost. A very satisfying
punk album and fer god's sake , don't wait another six years to put out a new one.

Dominoes Fall
Last One to Die
Buy It

#5 The Latest by Cheap Trick
Cheap Trick
Any album by Cheap Trick is a top ten album in the year it came out. One reason for this is that the tricksters are my favorite group of all time. On The Latest, power pop goodness abounds. Ya got yer rockers, yer ballads and Zander still sounds fantastic after all these years. Reinvention isn't the order of the day, Just a tight, tuneful collection of proudly unfashionable power pop in this collection of 13 guitar-heavy pop tunes.

Sick Man of Europe
Miss Tomorrow
Buy It

#6 Greatest Hits Vol. 16 by The Donnas
The Donnas
Don't let the title fool you, this is not a greatest Hits album. It's a retrospective album of sorts. It contains unreleased material, live tracks, Re recorded tracks of earlier material, alternate versions and a remix or two. A gold mine if you're as big a fan as I am. Most of the stuff is lesser known stuff and as a whole it really rocks.

Get Rid of That Girl (2009 Version)
Buy It


#7 Tinted windows
Tinted Windows
Speaking of power pop you must get this album. Tinted Windows is an American rock supergroup formed by guitarist James Iha, previously of The Smashing Pumpkins, singer Taylor Hanson of Hanson, bassist Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne, and Bun E. Carlos of Cheap Trick. The combination looks almost odd, but boy does it work. The album came out in April and it debuted at #59. Not so much a supergroup, it's really just a bunch of longtime veterans getting back to basics and playing their first love, glorious power pop.

Messing With My Head
Buy It

#8 Antennas Up
Antennas Up
I covered these guys a while back if you want to check through the archives. Half of the tunes on this album just won't get out of my head. Since I've covered them earlier, no sample. Take a chance and pick it up.

Buy It

#9 Chickenfoot
chickenfoot
Another supergroup? You bet. I knew it was gonna be a gooder just because of Sammy Hagar. The other guys are just a great bonus. Just get it, I'm getting tired of writing.

Sexy Little Thing
Buy It

#10 Glee The Music Volume 1
Glee
Much like the TV show itself, there is so much about this soundtrack that shouldn't work. We initially started watching Glee solely because of Jane Lynch. We have liked everything she has appeared in and her role as Sue Sylvester is glorious. Along the way we became Gleeks and our house is a huge fan of the show. Without a doubt Lea Michele's vocal performances are the star of this show. I have to say that the material along with the arrangements have been stunning. They have managed to take songs from artists I don't like or would never listen to and made them some of my favorites. When they did their cover of Queen's Somebody to Love on the show, the performance and arrangement absolutely sent chills down my spine. Good stuff and very listenable. If you haven't heard any of these cuts give em a chance.

Defying Gravity
Don't Stop Believin'
Buy It

Well that's it, a little bit late, but my top picks. I had several others that almost made the list, but I had to go with these. Feel free to lambast or praise homercat for these picks. Just a side note here, haloscan commenting is shutting it's doors Feb 4, so I am in the process of adjusting my template and come the 4th I'll have to revert to blogger commenting. Yuck.

Funny Toon

1 comments:

JakeSullie said...

Nice post! Thanks.