Sunday, April 25, 2010

Code of Honor

I am fed up with the music industry and record companies in general, even some of the artists are starting to tick me off. Let me explain, although if you've been visiting here for a while you know homercat is about to go off on another rant.


I went out to the store today to pick up a couple new releases. In fact I went to a couple different ones as I couldn't find what I was looking for. I had to go to Wal Mart for one because of one of those artists exclusively signed with them to release their new thing. This pisses me off extremely, especially since Canada's Wal Mart wasn't involved with this one and I can't get it. Personally I hate Wal Mart and avoid it like the plague. I beg and plead with artists please don't do an exclusive deal with Wal Mart, you're killing music. The other two albums I wanted weren't being stocked at the other record stores either. Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, here is an honest cat trying to make an honest purchase for his music and I am being blocked at every turn. Can't a cat catch a break? I could order it from the internet but that means a couple things, having to wait for it, buying mp3's from that silly itunes which I refuse to do because if I can't get a hard copy I won't buy it and or getting my credit card number floating out in cyberspace, which I don't like any of these scenarios at all. Now what? Well it happens that I know a couple places to go to download stuff for free and that's what I did, except for the Wal Mart artist, can't get that sucker anywhere. Now I'm hearing that some artists aren't even going to release albums any more, they'll just release a song every now and then through itunes and call it good. For example Rob Zombie said that his latest album, Hellbilly Deluxe 2, will be his last album. From now on he'll just release songs through itunes. Can you say goodbye to getting my hard earned dollar? Not to mention that if the industry goes that way you can say goodbye to ever having classic concept albums such as the Wall, 2112, or Welcome to My Nightmare. So I say this to record companies and artists, you're gradually losing me as a paying customer only because you're making it impossible for me to buy the stuff I want. I won't even rant about having to rebuy an album everytime there's a format change. Vinyl, 8-track, cassette, CD and now mp3s. I won't rant about that because that really gets my cat dander in an uproar.


This goes for my biggest gripe too, Out of Print material. Most of you know that is what I mostly deal with on this site. I know I offer other stuff that may be newer once in a while just because I feel people should be listening. I feel that if a title is out of print and I can't buy it new anywhere then we should be able to download it and share it all we want. Of course I can and do go to used record stores and buy used copies of stuff and I also scour thrift stores and flea markets for that elusive piece of vinyl to which not a dime of what I spend on it is going to the artist. Not my fault folks that an album I wish to buy is out of print. If it was available I would march right down and buy it. So as consumers what are we to do? For me I am buying as much back catalog as possible on vinyl, in fact 95% of my music purchases this year has been for used vinyl.


I think I'm through ranting. I have much more to say on the subject but it's time to get to today's out of print download which will probably get homercat in trouble. Joanna Dean was an up and coming promising rocker whose voice was a cross between Janis Joplin and Bonnie Raitt. If you've never heard her you'll be floored at the raspy,gritty,soulful power of her voice. Joanna Dean released her first album in 1988 called Misbehavin', which is very hard to find now. I posted that album earlier in case you missed it so get it quick. Joanna Dean is a rare talent that most people will never have the pleasure of knowing. Not since the likes of Janis Joplin, has there been a singer that put as much of her soul in a song. With only two albums to her credit it is impossible to compare her to Janis, but she is close.

For her second album Dean formed a band and they called themselves Bad Romance. Joanna wrote or co-wrote all but one tune on her second album, "Code of Honor." The album was marked by a dark, somber tone and included songs about alcoholism and suicide. One tune, "Love Hurts," was recorded as a duet with Tom Kiefer of Cinderella. Don't let the album cover or the dark somber tone fool you. This album is categorized as Heavy metal and from the opening track it packs a helluva punch. A review on her self titled album says she is no longer recording and is now a graphic designer. What a shame. Truly an overlooked talent that should have been huge.

1. Up and Coming
2. House of My Father
3. Code of Honor
4. Hunger
5. Move Me
6. Eye of the Storm
7. Bad Romance
8. Whitest Lies
9. Love Hurts
10. Love Is Blind
11. Hang Tough

Copy and paste this link in your browser to download
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S5NXV6A4
pw=homercat

Funny Toon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Homer,

Just curious; what new music are you into?

homercat said...

I like just about anything, if it's good. I get a lot of music submissions and I try to listen to most of it. So far this year I have been less than impressed with most of it.