Thursday, May 27, 2010

You Can Tune a Piano but You Can't Tuna Fish

You Can Tune a Piano but You Can't Tuna Fish was REO Speedwagon's seventh studio album and came out in 1978. It was their first album to be produced entirely by lead singer Kevin Cronin and lead guitarist Gary Richrath. The album was REO's first to make the Top 40, peaking at #29. The album sold over 2 million copies in the U.S. which led it to go 2x Platinum. It's a great album that shows that REO can rock their asses off when they put their minds to it. When I was in high school these guys were huge in our area even before this album came out as I grew up just down the road a piece from where these guys hail from. One day in 78, I helped a friend install a new Pioneer Supertuner 8-Track deck with Jensen 6 x 9 tri-ax speakers(laugh if you want, that system kicked ass), and we tested it out using a tape he had just bought that day - you guess it - Reo's classic "Tuna" album! It sounded so great that I bought my own copy that night. It's been my favorite REO album ever since. Since they got their start in Champaign, people in Central Il were very proud and couldn't get enough of 'em. When Hi Infidelity came out, I thought it was a decent pop album, definitely not the rock which had made them big in the seventies. When their Good Trouble album came out in 1982, I stopped listening to them and never bought another REO album. They had simply stopped Rocking. Too Bad, cause this album was good.

Roll with the Changes
Lucky for You
Buy It


Funny Toon

4 comments:

jb said...

"Roll With the Changes" is superb, of course, although you may be the first person in history to write about this album and not mention "Time for Me to Fly." Another favorite track of mine is the album closer, "Say You Love Me or Say Goodnight," which jumps out of your speakers, kicks your ass, and then goes across the street and kicks your neighbors' ass too.

A truly great and vastly underrated album.

homercat said...

Lol, I almost mentioned Time for me to fly, but I figured most folks have heard that one. I gotta remember that line about kicking the neighbor's ass too, made me laugh out loud.

Dan said...

I had one of the first Pioneer Supertuner cassette players. They definitely kicked ass in their day. Love the album too.

lil m said...

y'know...i thought i'd never buy another REO album too...but i sorta suckered myself into picking up the low budget truck stop CD "Extended Versions" which is all live tracks recorded with a fake Kevin Cronin only sorta lineup circa 2000. It's still alright because it's basically old rockin' songs like Roll With The Changes just redone sans Richrath on guitar. Heard a rumor couple of the old reformed & rehab guys play in a Christian rock church house band in So Cal while Cronin rides out the name on the county fair circuit...