I think I agree with that choice because it's a pretty freakin awesome opening line. The imagery it conjures up is amazing and it grabs you by the nads right off the bat and doesn't let go till the end of the song. For me, I think the criteria is how strong is it and what kind of emotion does it invoke. Sadly there are some on this particular top ten list that don't quite cut in my humble opinion. Here is the list so you can see what you think.
1. Warren Zevon - Werewolves Of London - "I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand Walking through the streets of Soho in the rain He was looking for the place called Lee Ho Fook's Going to get a big dish of beef chow mein."
2. Bill Haley - Rock Around The Clock - "One, two, three o'clock, four o'clock, rock."
3. Jimi Hendrix - Hey Jo - "Hey Joe, where you goin' with that gun in your hand."
4. Little Richard - Tutti Frutti - "A Wop Bop A Loo Bop A Lop Bam Boom!"
5. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird - "If I leave here tomorrow, Would you still remember me?"
6. Bruce Springsteen - Hungry Heart - "Got a wife and kids in Baltimore Jack I went out for a ride and I never went back."
7. ELO - Telephone Line - "Hello. How are you? Have you been alright, through all those lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely nights That's what I'd say. I'd tell you everything If you'd pick up that telephone."
8. Paul Simon - Kodachrome - "When I think back On all the crap I learned in high school It's a wonder I can think at all."
9. Morrissey - Every Day Is Like Sunday - "Trudging slowly over wet sand Back to the bench where your clothes were stolen."
10. Elvis Costello - Alison - "Oh it's so funny to be seeing you after so long, girl. And with the way you look I understand that you are not impressed."
While they are all admittedly great classic tunes I feel like numbers 234579 and 10 are not quite as good as many others that I can think of. So that is what today is about. I'm going to post a couple of my favorites and then maybe some readers can round out the list. Maybe even no one cares eh.
Sunset is an angel weeping
Holding out a bloody sword
No matter how I squint I cannot
Make out what it's pointing toward
There's a road, in Oklahoma
Straighter than a preacher
Longer than a memory
My girlfriend, my dumb donut
Went out to a party just the other night
But three hours later and seven shots of jäger,
She was in the bedroom with another guy
We met when we were in school
Never took no shit from no one, we weren't fools.
I stood at the door beside her
But she wouldn't let me pass
I was such a bore and I lied to her
I said I didn't really want her ass
Well, so long liberty
Let's forget you didn't show
So there's just a couple of my favorites that really deserve a top ten spot. They realy grab you and evoke some kind of emotion. I could easily list a lot more that deserve a spot. I figure maybe some folks have a few of their own favorites. Have a great weekend all.