Friday, January 14, 2011

The Wussification of the Human Race

Dire Straits
I try and try to stick mostly to music here and keep the ranting to myself. This rant is music related and it has chapped my ass so I have to share my feelings on this one. I'm sure some will agree with me and others will want me drawn and quartered. Can I start off by saying that all this political correctness has gone way too far. I'm as sensitive of peoples feelings as the next guy but I am grown up enough to not let words bother me, I've got more pressing stuff to worry about. The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council has determined that the 25 year old Dire Straits song Money for Nothing is now a banned song. The CBSC came to the decision following one listener's complaint to a St. John's radio station CHOZ-FM due the tune's use of the word "faggot," finding it to be discriminatory to gays. While the broadcaster argued that the song was a staple of classic rock radio, the CBSC concluded that even if the word "faggot" was once acceptable, it has evolved now to the point where it is inappropriate in most contexts.

Wow, one person in this great big huge country complains and boom, banned. Well they can still play a censored version. I am against censorship in any shape or form especially when it comes to art. I quit shopping at Wal Mart years ago because of their policy of only selling censored versions of certain albums. I will take my money elsewhere thank you. I guess Canada is trying to keep up with their southern neighbors, you know the land of the free and all that. Such as the case of Mark Twain's classic Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn where they are removing the n word and injun from the novels for the sake of political correctness. To slap the PC treatment on books written in another century is whitewash of the worst kind. Forbidden words, oh please? I do understand why all this brouhaha is going on because of all the sensitive issues involved, but to change someones art simply because you don't like it is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to start. If I don't like something, I change the channel, read something else etc. If you're a parent then you decide what your child is exposed to, the government shouldn't have to be the parent. And yes children will be exposed at some time in their life to bad things, it's called growing up and it's unavoidable. We all do it. It's part of who we are.

It seems the more technologically advanced we become, the more positively whiny humans tend to be. Do we really need to go down this road? We already have to get our junk fondled or have some dude in a booth looking at our junk just to fly somewhere. Seems we overreact to everything nowadays. Personally I don't want someone telling me what I should listen to, read, or see. Are we really going to pretend that certain words don't or shouldn't exist and have someone else decide if I should listen to an unedited version of Money for Nothing. I don't listen to radio that much and have always hated their little edits and bleeps of certain songs, but I believe I have finally reached the "I'm fed up" stage and just like I don't give Wal Mart my money anymore, I won't lend my ears to a station that plays an edited version of that song. I prefer my mp3 player anyway. Sorry about the rant folks, just had to get it off my chest. Is the homercat just being a big ninny or does it bother anyone else as well. Well just in case this song goes the way of Mark Twain and for the sake of posterity I have to post up this controversial song in it's unadulterated state before it becomes unavailable. Get it now before it becomes illegal to own.

Money for Nothing
Buy It


Funny Toon

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree totally with everything you say including the Wal-mart bash. It is a fact that minorities and criminals have more rights in this country than the law abiding majority. Things have gotten too stupid in the workplace and everywhere else with political correctness. Keep up the good work HC.

Kesha Tickets said...

Lovely work! I'm definitely going to visit the blog frequently.

jb said...

Astoundingly dumb. Profoundly, astoundingly dumb--although what's the penalty if a radio station says "sorry, ain't gonna do it?"

Barely Awake In Frog Pajamas said...

I was surprised when I read about this deal earlier in the week.

What don't people understand about context? I think most folk got it in '85 when the song was current and on the radio every ten minutes.

Oldetymer said...

Have to agree with you we are headed down a road I prefer not to travel, I am from the US and what bothers me is gays can have parades and walk down the street naked with their junk dangling,and fondling each other and you either have to see it or turn your head, yet if someone calls them names everybody and his brother steps in to correct it. Extreme case of overkill in my opinion.
Let's see where this political correctness takes us, but I have a feeling we won't want to go there, but by the time we realize our mistake it may be too late.

CQ said...

I can understand the demands for known censorship options within the context of a captive audience such as a common daytime workplace or mandatory school literature course. It is why we have cable shows and movie ratings.

Anonymous said...

With you all the way on this one. Unless my memory is out to lunch I heard when the song came out that it was about a conversation between stock boys at a department store who had just seen Prince on MTV. I don't know anyone who didn't take it for the satire it was supposed to be.

Guess the English will now have to light up cigarettes instead of fags.

Anonymous said...

Certainly you people don't think that only one person was offended by this? Yes I understand artistic freedom. It was art when the song was written, It was art when it was recorded, when a video and album were made. I even bought it, I like the song, but I admit I play the single version much more than I play the album cut. But let's face it. The only reason it gets played so much is because of it's use of that damn word. I don't see anyone complaining that a certain SLy song or a John & Yoko single from 72 is not getting airplay, and there's thousand more. No one should be forced to hear such language just because they turn on their radio. Stop lying to yourselves. And stop lying to me. I've been listening to this all my life . Almost every comic movie and many artists use that word and the excuse of "art". We both no better. Ok I'm done now.. I'm leaving now, so you can go on fooling yourselves. Too bad, Up to now I was enjoying this site.

homercat said...

See I knew I would make someone mad. Thanks for your input, as always it's appreciated. I still don't think it's right to just whitewash it, cut out the offending parts and pretend like it never happened, the lying starts when things are censored out and then we pretend that the censored versions are the truth, bad or good it's part of history. I was beginning to wonder how come no one got mad at me for writing this, thank goodness anonymous came through.

Rich said...

100% on the money. PC has gone WAY too far. People - it's just words! Where is Lennie Bruce when we need him? And - anonymous - when you have enough guts to post your name with your opinion I might listen. In the interim - BITE ME.

Joe said...

Great blog

Hummer Air Conditioner Compressor