Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Headhunter

Krokus, doesn't that name blast you metalheads back to the eighties? I became familiar with Krokus back in 1982 when I was at this party and someone was playing the One Vice at a Time album. I said who the hell is that, it sounds like they're trying to copy AC/DC. In fact the lead singer was trying awful hard to sound like Bon Scott which irked me a little. Yet I found that even though this band were blatantly copying AC/DC's sound, I couldn't help but like it.

Krokus didn't start out as metal though. These headbangers from Switzerland started out in the 70's as a progressive rock outfit along the lines of Yes, Genesis, and ELP. Hard to believe, eh. The band didn't get anywhere commercially, so it decided to cash in on metal's popularity and started emulating AC/DC. Call it one of those guilty pleasures because everything about this band says I shouldn't like them, yet I listen to them on occasion. Their biggest album was 1983's Headhunter which contains a wicked cover of BTO,s Stayed Awake All Night. With all due respect to Randy and the boys, Krokus' version of this song kicks serious butt and sounds deliciously good cranked up to maximum volume. The album's success came mostly from the hit power ballad Screaming in the Night which received heavy rotation on MTV. If you were a metal band in the 80's you had to have a power ballad, I think it was a law, or your record was ignored.  I remained a casual fan of these guys until their dreadful cover of Ballroom Blitz which should make any music aficionado cringe. homercat had to abandon the Krokus ship after that fiasco, even though that particular album contains many fine tracks. For several albums though Krokus delivered the goods. Incidentally, the band has undergone a few personnel changes and are still kicking around and released a new album just last year. I haven't heard it so I couldn't tell you if it's any good but these two tracks from Headhunter are guaranteed to rock.

Eat the Rich
Stayed Awake All Night
Buy It


Funny Toon

3 comments:

Barely Awake In Frog Pajamas said...

I never knew that "Stayed Awake All Night" was a cover.

I never was motivated enough to own any Krokus, but "Stayed Awake All Night" and "Screaming In The Night" both sounded great on radio back in the day.

Anonymous said...

The new Krokus album "Hoodoo" kicks ass!

homercat said...

I'll take your word and try to track it down.