Friday, August 26, 2011

One Fine Morning

One of Canada's most original pop groups ever, Lighthouse was formed in Toronto early in 1969. Their sound was as diverse as their listening audience, and contained cellos, violas, an array of horns and a full percussion section. Similar to Blood Sweat and Tears. Lighthouse was undeniably one of the driving forces of the Canadian pop machine of the '70's. With a total of nine gold records, three platinum and 4 Junos, no other band of the day could touch them. In a time before Canadian radio stations were required to play a minimum of homegrown talent, Lighthouse wasn't affected. Their keen pop sensibility, combined with plain musical talent and clever production styles, helped their light shine brightly, guiding many of today's groups along the way. The title track from their 1971 album One Fine Morning was an international and American hit. Other notable songs on this album include “ Hats Off Stranger” and “ Love of a Woman.”

 I finally acquired this on vinyl about three weeks ago and it's in darn good shape.  I had posted a song from this album back in 2005, but it wasn't my rip.  Now that I finally found a good copy I have my own rip that sounds much better than the one I had.  The horns on Love of a Woman are insane.  Having played trumpet back in the day,  that song left me scratching my head as to how it was possible to hit some of those notes.  They disbanded in 1976 but have since reunited in varying incarnations.  In fact a couple of Albertans I know just saw them a few days ago in Lethbridge, Alberta at the famous Whoop Up days and they reported to me that it was fabulous. Classic Canadian music here that is going for 89 dollars on CD at Amazon.


Love of a Woman
One Fine Morning
Buy It


Funny Toon

2 comments:

CQ said...

13 mbs is a bit large for this interested listener.

Let's Find H-Man A Wife said...

This was one fine single (One Fine Morning). It woke us up on a long trip across the country. The year was 1977. Thanks for the memories.